Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Economic Justice as a Feminist Issue- Argument

World economic inequality, cartoon

 I read on the Center for Working Class Studies website first about just what was "working class studies".  I agree  with the author "  Center for Working Class Studies "that class separates who we are and completely shapes our lives. If you grow up in the upper middle class vs. the lower middle class, you life and your opportunities i believe don't even compare. If you as a someone at the lower end of the lower middle class, are extremely motivated, have set goals, and are willing to work your but off to get what you want , you just may be able to achieve what a much less goal oriented and much less driven to succeed person would be able to easily achieve. The working class is a very large group. I don't think that the article is saying that there's anything wrong with being working class, its just that some people chose to ignore the fact that they are a part of that, or that there even is a social class at all. That is the main point I feel that the author is trying to make, that there is a lot of different people that make up this working blue collar group.
"By making the working class more visible, we help working-class people gain respect.This is huge for me because my first two jobs have been a part of the working class. It's tough to gain respect because i feel like people look down at you like just because your serving them food, of doing something for them, that you are there temporary servant.


 I think that the working class suffers from economics inequality which turns into a feminist issue. I also read in another article That "Women have unequal access to economic resources, such as capital, credit, labour and land, and limited opportunities for employment and career advancement which restricts their ability to improve their economic situation. " Women have a more difficult time getting jobs I think because people in general don't take them as seriously. If that wasn't the case since the beginning of time, why is it then that there still has yet to be a women president. Technically there is a better chance for a women to be president because there is more women in the world than there are men. I think that society formed an image about women being poor decision makers, and too emotional to take control.


" In American society, class divisions generate public policies that allow the "haves" to get more while the"have nots" keep falling further behind" This is true on the economic level. The people that have more money gain more money, and high status leads to higher status. Men and women i believe both suffer from this. But it is our original roots that put us in this predicament  Its almost like you are genetically wired to be a have or a have not. It is what you are born into. There I agree also with the author when he says that "there is much diversity to these groups". If we looked into the numbers of races and gender to see what really consist of these economic groups, i think it would help to understand why it is important to realize that there are separations, and they shouldn't just be pushed behind a curtain. Its easier to draw ignorance on what class you are in or why he or she belongs to a certain class, but its time to start asking questions, because it we don't inequality will become inevitable.

I playied around with the People like us website too. The game was interesting. I guess I somewhat agreeed with what it said. It said that my definition of social class is by the things that I buy. Whcih I can see to be somewhat too. but just casue you have something doesnt nessicailly mea that you can afford it !! Also I found a question that was interesting "how do income, family background, education, attitudes, aspirations, and even appearance mark someone as a member of a particular social class?"
These are all interconnected. One affect the other. At one point you become realistic after thinking all your life your are going to become an astronaunt and your are growing up in a poor family that cant afford to send you to a college, and your resources to excelle are limited, your dreams and aspirations are probably going to change. Depending on the class you are from you suffer from oppression in one form or another from it.

2 comments:

  1. i agree with you that manny people appear to be from a certain social class by the way they look and dress. there is also people who have the education like a person from a high class, but for some Circumstance they have the social economics of a person at a lower class. in fact there is a high percentage of homeless people that have college degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refused to believe that because I am poor my kids are dammed to be poor. This made me very upset on Thursday to realized how cruel life and people can be. Life is not fear and I don't like it. I've always worked hard for the little that I have and I pray everyday for my kids to have and to make the right choices in life so they don't have to struggle so much . And some day they could have anything they want.

    ReplyDelete